Friday, February 12, 2010

Interview with Adam Hughes


Do you have an educational background in art or are you self taught?
Being white, lower middle class, and kind of a dope, I could not get into college. I'm self-taught.

How did you get involved in sketch cards/What was your first sketch card job?
Allison Sohn got me to try doing them. My first job was for the STAR WARS 30th Anniversay set.

How do you feel about working on such a small surface?
It's no different than doing a panel from a comic-book page, which is my regular job. A 9-panel page has panels the same size as trading cards.

How do you feel about the entire process? Is it similar to working in the comic industry?
It's very similar. "You need to have X amount of work done by Friday. Get to work, deadbeat!"

Do you prefer to work with a specific media?
On the TOPPS sketch cards, PITT pens & COPIC markers rule my world.



Is the base card process (coming up with the concept) very different than how you approach your comic cover work? Can you elaborate on your base card process?
It's not much different at all, except that I don't have to worry about logo placement! I don't think about the size, since these images get reproduced at different sizes. As for the process: I sketch an idea, then get some reference to help my polish off the rough spots (did you know most women only have TWO breasts?!?!). I then transfer that to a nice piece of illustration board, which I ink. Then I scan it into Photoshop and color the crap outta it.

Do you have a lot of contact with collectors regarding your cards?
At conventions, yes. They bring them up to sign, and it's fun to part of such a tradition. Trading cards! It makes you feel like a homerun hero, with the exception of the guilt I feel about betting on industry on the side.

What was the most difficult sketch card set you have worked on to date? What made it difficult?
The Indy 4 set. I dunno, the subject matter made it tough to bring the old A-game....

Are there any cards that you are particularly proud of?
I have a handful of Indy cards I did for the Heritage set that I am really proud of. After about 20 cards I figured out a simplified Indy that I liked so much, I wish I could do a whole comic in that style.



Do you see yourself continuing with sketch card sets?
I'm not sure. I have so many deadlines from my other assignments, it's tough to add more. But it IS the 30th anniversary of the Cadillac of STAR WARS films, The Empire Strikes Back....

Can you tell us what future sketch card sets you'll be working on (base or sketch cards)?
I have nothing planned at the moment!

What are you currently working on?
I'm currently working like mad to put together a coffee-table book of my 20+ years as a cover artist at DC Comics.... I have my Sideshow Collectibles statue work.... many covers for DC Comics....



Where can people see more of your work?
Wherever comic-book heroines don't wear much, I can be found! Also: http://adamhughes.deviantart.com


Thank you so much, Adam!!

1 comment: