Thursday, November 5, 2009

Interview with Francis Tsai




How did you get involved in sketch cards?
The new Clone Wars widescreen cards are my first sketch card job.

How do you feel about working on such a small surface?
It's definitely a bit of a challenge. I tend to pick close-ups and simpler subjects. Makes the work go a little quicker though!

How do you feel about the entire process?
Actually I like that there is little to no art direction (that I know of). The hard part is the volume, coming up with 100 images over the course of a couple of months. I also liked getting back into analog/traditional media - pencils, ink, markers. Been a long time since I did a lot of that.

Are there any cards that you are particularly proud of?
I feel like they are all more or less the same level of quality, for better or worse. Some are line art only and some are more rendered, but there aren't any that I remember standing head and shoulders over the others.



Some companies provide return cards for working on sketch card sets. Do you/will you keep any of the cards returned to you?
Yeah, I did an additional 6 cards that I requested to have sent back to me.

Do you see yourself continuing with sketch card sets?
If I have time and if it's subject matter I can geek out over. Marvel or DC sketch cards would probably be something I'd like to try next.

Is there any advice you would like to give to people wanting to break into the sketch card ‘biz’?
Yeah - work out your drawing hand! :)



Where can people see more of your work?
Most of my stuff can be seen on my site at teamgt.com, and there are links there to other places online where I have some art uploaded.

Thank you, Francis!

No comments:

Post a Comment